Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Figuring Out Buyer Behavior Number One

My segment: Automobile owners who own non-luxurious cars and routinely (about once every two weeks) drive on journeys more than two hours long.  They are working, middle-class people ages 18-65 years old.

Interview one - Pamela, 55 year-old female:
Q: When do you start to feel uncomfortable in your car?
A: When I am driving from Gainesville to Cape Coral to visit my mom, I usually start getting uncomfortable and restless around Tampa.  If I had to pick a time, I would say after two hours in the car.
Q: How do you start feeling the need for a more comfortable car seat?
A: After a long enough time of driving and sitting in the same spot, I just start to feel uncomfortable.
Q: Where do you start to feel this need for a more comfortable car seat?
A: While driving my car.
Q: What kind of car do you drive?
A: 2012 Hyundai Sonata

Q: Whenever you feel a need like this, how do you first go about finding a solution, should you choose to do so?
A: I first do a Google search.  For your product, I'd look up something like "padded car seat cover."
Q: What sources of information do you look for?
A: Whenever I search for a product on Google, I like to see what options are available on Amazon, since they have two-day shipping and I can read reviews.
Q: Do you go to friends and family to help find a solution to your problem?
A: If I know someone who already uses a product that I'm interested in, then I will ask them about it, but usually I can just find what I need on Google.

Interview two - Dale, 62 year-old male:
Q: When do you start to feel uncomfortable in your car?
A: When I'm driving a long time, or when I'm stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic and I have to keep pushing the clutch in and out to inch along.
Q: How do you start feeling the need for a more comfortable car seat?
A: I don't know, after a while, my body just starts feeling sore.
Q: Where do you start to feel this need for a more comfortable car seat?
A: In the car I guess.
Q: What kind of car do you drive?
A: A 2010 Ford Fusion.

Q: Whenever you feel a need like this, how do you first go about finding a solution, should you choose to do so?
A: I usually just search it in Google.
Q: What sources of information do you look for?
A: I look for different websites that sell products like the one I want and try to figure out which is best.  I try to avoid buying anything made in China or Vietnam.
Q: Do you go to friends and family to help find a solution to your problem?
A: Sometimes I'll ask my brother or sister for help, but only if it's a more serious decision like a car or a new TV.

Interview three - Cara, 23 year-old female:
Q: When do you start to feel uncomfortable in your car?
A: Whenever I have to drive from New York to Philadelphia I get restless and uncomfortable; like I have to keep shifting my weight around so I don't get too sore.
Q: How do you start feeling the need for a more comfortable car seat?
A: I don't know, I guess my body just starts letting me know that it's uncomfortable when it's time.
Q: Where do you start to feel this need for a more comfortable car seat?
A: In my car on long drives
Q: What kind of car do you drive?
A: I drive a Jeep Wrangler


Q: Whenever you feel a need like this, how do you first go about finding a solution, should you choose to do so?
A: I look on Google.  I like trying to find reviews on a product before I buy it; if it doesn't average 4/5 stars then I usually won't buy it.
Q: What sources of information do you look for?
A: Yelp is good, and then Amazon and Google reviews are also really helpful.
Q: Do you go to friends and family to help find a solution to your problem?
A: Not really, I can usually find everything I need online.

I learned that the individuals in my target segment all feel the need for a more comfortable car seat in their car on long trips, as I had already determined during "Testing the Hypothesis, Part One."  I also learned that they usually start their information search via Google by looking up the type of product they are interested in.  Two of the people in my segment stated that product reviews are a valued part of their search for more information on a product.  The other person preferred to look on the websites selling the product for information, specifically to find out where it is made since that is important to them.  None of the people I interviewed relyed on consulting friends and family during their information search, although one person did mention that it would be an important source of information for a high-risk purchase.

My segment is aware of their need, and they would primarily use online resources (especially Google and user reviews) to find out more information on it.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Jake,
    After reading through your interviews I am even more convinced that you have an amazing product. I definitely think this product would be extremely popular for the older generation. I could see my grandparents enjoying a product like this because they are old school and prefer driving themselves long distances over flying on a plane. This is a product I would love to gift to my grandparents for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jake,
    First of all, I think that these interviews very much support your idea and show that it really does have a lot of potential. While you focused on older people for the first two interviews, I enjoyed that you went in another direction for the third interview and chose someone who is younger and can provide a different perspective. Overall, I think you did a great job in conducting these interviews.

    ReplyDelete