Friday, March 13, 2020

What's Your Secret Sauce?

Interview playlist: https://soundcloud.com/jacob-jenkins-396991876/sets/interviews-for-assignment-16a


Part One: My unique human capital according to myself:
  1. My knowledge of cars, especially high-end ones, is extensive, and I’m very passionate about them.  I can name almost any car’s make and model at a glance, and for cars that are cool/interesting/fast, I can also usually tell you the type of engine it has, its displacement, whether it’s naturally aspirated or boosted, its horsepower, 0-60 time, top speed, transmission, drivetrain layout, price, what its competitors are, and how compelling it is relative to its competitors.  I can even name cars with distinctive engine sound just by hearing them.  Relating to my passion for cars, I was able to qualify for Speech and Debate NCFL nationals with an original oratory on why cars are more than mere transportation, which leads me to my second unique trait…
  2. My public speaking skills are strong and honed from my experiences in high school speech and debate.  I learned how to effectively present an argument in two years of Lincoln-Douglas debate, and I also memorized and presented a 10-minute original oratory in my senior year, which I got to nationals with.  These experiences allow me to be comfortable speaking in front of an audience, and I even learned how to work the room based on people’s reactions.
  3. I learn very quickly and have a good memory.  This has helped me succeed in my classes without an obscene amount of studying time.
  4. I’m good at seeing conflicts objectively.  In a disagreement, I can look at both sides, understand their arguments, and make logical decisions regarding the validity of the arguments.  This makes me good at resolving conflicts.
  5. I’m an empathetic person, and I can easily relate to why most people feel the way that they do, provided they’re not completely insane.

Part Two: Summaries of each interview
Interview one: My little sister, Julianna: She said that my unique human capital is that while I’m very analytically intelligent, I am also empathetic, emotionally intelligent, caring, and I work well with others.  To her, this a rare combination of things.
Interview two: My mom: The unique traits she thought of for me are immense kindness, caring for other people and animals, patience, my problem-solving skills, my ability to understand how things work, my love and knowledge of automobiles, drawing, designing things, and painting.  She also mentioned that whenever I discover a new interest, I delve deeply into it and learn all about it.
Interview three: My best friend, Bryce: Bryce compared my human capital to my taste in cars.  He said that I strive for greatness and that I am the nicest and most passionate person he has ever met.  He went on to say that my burning passion for cars is what drives me to succeed and sets me apart from everyone else.
Interview four: My dad: My dad primarily focused on my integrity as part of my human capital.  He said that I stick to what I say and what I believe in and that I have high character.
Interview five: My cousin, Reid: Reid said that I am very energetic about everything that I am passionate about.  He also said that I’m very hardworking and that I love cars and animals.

I see myself as hardworking, passionate about what I believe in, intelligent, and caring.  Based on the interviews I conducted, the other people I know see me the same way, so there are not differences between how others assess me and how I assess myself.  I think my interviewees are correct about me, except for a couple of things my mom said, as I do not consider myself a good drawer or painter.  I would not change anything about my list from part one, although if I could add-on to that list, I would incorporate the traits that my interviewees mentioned.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jake, I enjoyed reading your blog post on what your personality traits are. It seems to me that you are an extremely diverse person and have a lot of amazing qualities. It was cool that you and your interviewees both said that you are empathetic and pointed out your love for cars. It is amazing that you possess a talent of public speaking. Public speaking is one of human kinda biggest fears so that is very cool that you excel at that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jake, I really liked your traits that you mentioned in your blog. I like that you are very well known in cars. It is very important for that. People don't know about their cars and it costs them hundred of thousands of dollars. I also really like that you're good at giving speeches. That is a trait that is really essential. People need to know that so they can articulate their ideas

    ReplyDelete