1. The general theme of this book is that success requires perseverance through failure after failure, as well as learning from those failures and improving yourself by focusing on the realistic changes you can make day-by-day to increase your odds of success.
2. I think that this book really connected with the entrepreneurial mindset that we learned about early in the course. Scott's story of doing many different jobs before finally succeeding as a comic artist reminds me of the story of Colonel Sanders from the beginning of the semester. I also think his advice on interacting with people, like when he talks about the power of giving honest praise, enhances what I learned about managing the employees in your startup and creating an attractive organizational culture.
3. The exercise I'd design would focus on helping students think about implementing systems instead of just having goals. The exercise would be conducted early in the semester, and it would involve choosing one goal for your business idea, and a second goal that is something you wish to achieve personally in your life. For each goal, write down at least one system that can be implemented on a daily basis to move you towards that goal. Each student will implement the system they developed for their personal goal throughout the rest of the semester, and at the end of the semester, they will reflect on how that system moved them closer to their goal, as well as how it improved their state of being.
Hello Jacob, I really like the summary of the book you gave us. I really wish you could have put the title of the book so we can tell what book it was and would not have to track back. I really like that I was able to learn more about the entrepreneurial mindset it was very informative. I really like your aha, it helped understand the book from your perspective.
ReplyDelete